It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Royal Guard Helmets manufacturers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:15 pm 

TKID: 0
looking for recommendations on who making helmets and how much difference in weight is between a ABS helmet and a Fiberglass helmet :tr:

Post subject: Re: Royal Guard Helmets manufacturers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:40 am 

TKID: 97491
I have a fiberglass helmet from Lukannons Armory (on facebook). I love it, looks amazing, and it weighs about 3 pounds. Let me know if you have more questions.

Post subject: Re: Royal Guard Helmets manufacturers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:17 pm 

TKID: 0
Generally speaking, ABS is more dense (heavier) than fiberglass. Add in the fact that fiberglass is more rigid than ABS, and you'd need a thicker ABS to reach the same durability as a fiberglass piece. ABS is also softer than the resins used with fiberglass, so the fiberglass will be more scratch resistant as a base.

Where ABS has an advantage is in flexibility. As I mentioned, it is softer than fiberglass reinforced resin, so ABS is the "bend, don't break" type of material. Fiberglass, once pushed past it's limits will fail catastrophically, where at that same point of crushing force the ABS will likely bounce back with little more than cosmetic damage.

From a cost viewpoint, vacuum forming ABS will usually be cheaper per piece to produce. Fiberglass resin requires a cure time while taking up space in the mold, while ABS can be removed as soon as it cools just enough to maintain the mold shape and that can be sped up with cool air or even a water mist sprayed on it. ABS production rates can essentially be measured in pieces per hour, while fiberglass is hours per piece. As they say, time is money.

I hope that helps.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]